With Valentine's Day just a few days away, I thought I would post a trio of recipes to assist you in making this years holiday for lovers, an unforgettable one. Over the next few days, I will post an appetizer, entree, and dessert that will encourage love, passion, and excitement! Beets are the passionate grounding roots of the vegetable community. No matter how you choose to prepare them, they will always leave their mark. Beet exude passion and fire, which make them a perfect fit for your Valentine's Day menu.
This salad is a classic combination of spinach, roasted beets, and goat cheese. The flavors work very well together and have been seen on restaurant menus for years. Because we are in the heart of winter, I chose to lightly wilt the spinach, just to take the chill off of the greens. For an extra crunch, try candying the nuts or seeds in honey or maple syrup.
- 8 ounces, baby Spinach
- 2 large Beets
- 1-2 ounces Goat Cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted Sunflower Seeds (walnuts, pecans, or pine nuts work great)
- Olive Oil
- Sherry Wine or Balsamic Vinegar
- Sea Salt
- Freshly cracked Black Peppercorns
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Peel and cut the beets into a small to medium sized dice. Place them in a bowl, coat with olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper, then gently toss. Place onto a sheet pan and bake until tender. Roughly 30 minutes.
- Just before you are ready to eat, warm up a large saute pan. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- When the olive oil is hot, add half of the spinach. Use a pair of tongs to gently toss the spinach and cook just until slightly wilted and warm throughout. Set aside. Repeat with the remainder of the spinach.
- Gently toss the wilted spinach in a large bowl with the roasted beets, crumbled goat cheese and toasted seeds. Drizzle in a touch of vinegar, olive oil, and sprinkle in some sea salt.
- Serve immediately and Enjoy with your lover!