Inspired by a friends version of "Pissed off Eggs", I whipped up this dish for Sunday brunch recently. Once your tomato sauce is prepared, you can have a meal on the table within 10-15 minutes. Play around with the added vegetables and use what's in season and in abundance around you. I look forward to making this dish in the summer when summer squash, eggplant, and fresh basil are in abundance.
- 3 cups homemade Tomato Sauce
- 4 large Collard Leaves, chopped
- 4 Pastured Eggs
- Raw Milk Cheddar Cheese
- Sea Salt
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Chopped Herbs like Parsley, Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary, and Scallions
- Heat the sauce up in a small pan. Add the collards and allow them to wilt into the tomato sauce.
- Preheat Oven 350F
- Transfer the sauce to a baking dish and make 4 holes. Carefully crack the eggs into each hole, then grate enough cheese to cover the entire surface of the dish.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, depending on how done you want the egg yolks.
- Remove the pan from the oven and garnish with the chopped herbs.
- Dived the Sunken Eggs amongst two plates, pour a glass of red wine, and enjoy!