Here's a simple way to add bit of flavor to your burgers, meatloaf, or stews. Za'atar is wonderful spice mixture that usually contains thyme, sesame, and sumac (a wild food I love to harvest), which adds a Middle Eastern flair to the beef. Whenever possible, I prefer to cook my burgers on an open fire, as the char from the heat adds such great flavor.
I'd say go ahead and make up a double or triple batch, as good seasonings are always good to have on hand.
Pro Tip #108 - When making burgers, meat loafs, or sausages, always cook off a little portion so that you know what the meat will taste like and you can make any adjustments necessary before serving.
- 1 pound ground grass-fed beef
For the Za'atar Seasonings:
- 1.5 Tbsp Za’atar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chipotle
- Add the seasonings to a bowl, stir to combine.
- Mix the ground beef with the seasonings well, using your hands or wooden spoon.
- Make 4 even burgers then cook on a grill, cast iron skillet, or bake in the oven until desired doneness.
- Serve with a side of greens, roasted sweet potatoes and sauce of your choice.